Bariatric surgery in Nashville
Our Weight Loss Surgery staff is dedicated to helping each patient succeed on their weight loss journey and take charge of their health. If you are affected by obesity, you know first-hand that managing your weight and improving your health is difficult.
More than 93 million Americans battle obesity. Obesity increases your risk of developing other diseases like type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea and more. When combined with obesity, these conditions significantly impact your overall quality of life. It is important to know what your options are. TriStar Southern Hills offers two types of bariatric surgical procedures.
Types of procedures
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy – a restrictive procedure in which approximately three-fourths of the stomach is removed. This has a lower surgical risk and no implantable band device. This surgery also has less food intolerance than with gastric band bypass.
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass – About 90 percent of weight loss through appetite restriction and 10 percent is through malabsorption. This can be better for improving reflux.
Minimally invasive approach
Our procedures are performed using minimally invasive techniques. This means our bariatric surgeons can perform their procedures using tiny incisions with specialized miniature surgical instruments. Benefits include the following:
- Reduced postsurgical pain
- Shortened hospital stays
- Shorter overall recovery time
- Lowered risks of complications and infections
What to expect
Before surgery, our team will help ensure you are a good candidate for bariatric surgery. This will include a documented attempt at weight loss and establishing an exercise and diet plan.
After surgery, our team will make sure you are aware of what your post-surgery diet looks like. You will have regular visits with a dietician and your surgeon to ensure you are on track. Most patients will need to take 2-3 weeks off of work while they recover.
Results of your bariatric surgery will vary as each patient’s success story is different. In general, most patients lost between 60-70% of their excess weight.
Our Weight Loss Surgery staff is dedicated to helping each patient success on their weight loss journey, and we provide individualized, quality care to each patient.
- Multidisciplinary team approach including surgeon, nurse, registered dietician and psychologist
- Physician established protocols for care plan
- Faster recovery time: all procedures are done laparoscopically or are robotic-assisted
- Specially trained hospital staff in the care of weight loss surgery patients
- Psychologist-led support groups for patients before and after surgery
Bariatric surgery seminar
For more information about our weight loss surgical options, please call (615) 834-7204.
Bariatric surgery at TriStar Health
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is performed on patients with obesity. There are several types of bariatric procedures, but all focus on making modifications to the digestive system with the goal of significant weight loss.Learn about Bariatric surgery